Archangel's Desire

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Author Interview with Leigh LaValle, author of The Nottinghamshire Series.

THE ROGUE RETURNS Tour Button

 

Today on the blog we have author Leigh LaValle, author of today’s series blast The Nottinghamshire Series. We would like to thank Leigh for stopping by and answering some questions. So sit back and relax.

 

Author Interview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I have always enjoyed writing, but I have flirted with different career ideas… Environmental Policy, Family Counseling, Yoga and Massage… but writing was first and last J

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

Probably in college when I first started printing things out for others to read and critique. And when I was published in our school literary journal.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

4 years

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Right now I am home with my young kids. But, most recently, I had a business as a yoga teacher and a massage therapist. I enjoy working for myself, as you can see ;-) I hope to bring some yoga philosophies into my stories one day.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

THE ROGUE RETURNS is a regency road adventure through the peaks of England and features a silver-tongued rogue, a London-bred lady, a pair of robbers, a stray kitten, and a buried treasure.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I previously published with Samhain, but I am now self-publishing.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

One or two years, depending what is going on in my life (like having babies ;-)).

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have a partial for another regency historical that I am excited to continue work on. It is titled BEAUTY AND THE THIEF. I also have an ambitious idea for a contemporary series that I would like to explore.

What genre would you place your books into?

Historical. Technically, my time period is ‘late Regency’ but only us history buffs really care about that.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I have always loved historical romance- all the rules make breaking them more fun.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I really enjoyed writing the hero in THE ROGUE RETURNS. Roane is a bad boy with a troubled past. He’s a bit of a wounded hero type as well. AND he is fun and charming. It was easy to fall in love with him.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing ever since I was a little girl. I remember writing a story about a babysitter when I was 8 or so. I still have the little spiral bound notebook with the misspelled words in pencil.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I can’t listen to music or work in coffee shops. I need silence. I work from my home. If it is too busy here, or I just need to get away, I go to the library. But I don’t really have any big routines.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Not all…but close.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

Book first.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

I use lists of old aristocratic families and geographical locations.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

Characters first, names second.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I would say half and half. I am a plotter, or I try to be, but once I start writing my books take a shape of their own, including the characters.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

I’d like to think so. I try to write toward a deeper message. In THE ROGUE RETURNS, the hero and heroine both judge each other form the start, only to discover how wrong they were.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Lately I like using my ereader. It’s just more comfortable in my hand. But I do love paperbacks as well. Ebooks can blend together after a while.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

Favorite book- of all time? That is hard… If I could only take one book to a desert island it would be ‘Where I’m Calling From’ by Raymond Carver. The stories have so much beauty and depth. Yes, I’ve read it many, many times.

If you would like to find out more about Leigh and her work check out today’s series blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment