Archangel's Desire

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Character Interview with Aijyn, from Lotus Petals by Brantwijn Serrah

tourbanner

 

Today on the blog we have Aijyn, from Lotus Petals by Brantwijn Serrah for an interview. So sit back and relax,

 

character

Character Name: Aijyn

Character Bio: Aijyn is quiet and fearfully obedient to her vampire master, Daimyo Gohachiro. One of his human courtesans, she has learned to survive through being virtually invisible, masking and controlling her emotions in the face of the demons around her. When Rhiannon comes into her life, though, Aijyn finds it nearly impossible to keep her suddenly unruly feelings at bay.

Aijyn

Describe yourself what is your worst and best quality?

 I expect my worst quality would be the cowardice I have lived with up until now. I allowed the winds of fate to carry me and never believed I might change my own course. I regret the willingness to obey my Lord out of fear of retribution, and, since Rhiannon has come here to his temple, the Blood Lotus, I have urged her to also obey. I see now that doing so only dishonors her strength, and any strength I might wish to call my own.

My best quality? I think, my gentleness. It may seem strange to choose such a quality, when I have been raised in a temple of demons and demons are anything but gentle... one might expect I would have adopted a hardness to protect myself more adequately. If I have anything to be proud of in my years here, though, it must be that I have remained soft. Perhaps it has helped me to escape too much notice from the vampires, and therefore spared my life from their capricious hungers. What I know, though, is that it brought Rhiannon to me, made me trustworthy to her, and made me her friend.

What is the one thing you wish other people knew about you?

I would like the world to know that, given the choice, I would never have sought this life, the life of a vampire's courtesan and slave. There are others among the Daimyo's human pets who dream of being brought into his fold and even plot to win favor with him or his vampires, hoping they will be changed...I can think of nothing more horrible.

What is your biggest secret, something no one knows about?

It has been my principle not to be one who keeps secrets, and I have very little I would even wish to keep. Vampires are impeccably good at knowing when a human is lying to them, and lying can enrage them or incite them to bite. Besides that, temple life has afforded me very little privacy anyway; my life has belonged to Daimyo Gohachiro, and he has access to everything. So until Rhiannon arrived, I had no real secrets to keep.

What are you most afraid of?

My master the Daimyo, and his harem of vampire ladies. They can be notoriously jealous. It is not often a human companion such as I will survive this long.

What do you want more than anything?

My freedom, and Rhiannon's, so we might finally be together.

What is your relationship status?

Quite complicated, unfortunately. I am one of the Daimyo's mortal possessions, so I belong to him. My heart, however, loves another...and she is his intended vampire bride.

How would you describe your sense of fashion?

I am quite well-trained in the art and wearing of kimono, and I know the proper place and time for a more casual yukata, a business-like homongi, or a stunning and elaborate suzohiki. I have a particular liking for kanzashi hair accessories, as well: my favorites are those which dangle like petals or snowflakes from one's hair.

How much of a rebel are you?

Oh, I am not one at all. I am a servant, a slave and a prisoner... I have never found the courage to rebel, nor would I know how to even manage it. Rhiannon is the one with the courage of a rebel.

What do you considered to be your greatest achievement?

My life at the Blood Lotus Temple began as the result a choice to submit myself to the vampires, in order to ensure my mother's other children would never be taken. By coming here, I have spared the lives of my brothers and sister. I feel saving them from these demons is the greatest achievement of my life.

What is your idea of happiness?

A normal life, freedom from these walls and the looming presence of vampires.

What is your most treasured possession?

As I have said, there is almost nothing which I can truly call mine, as my life belongs to Gohachiro. However, all the courtesans of his court carry a small knife, called a kaiken, for defense and protection. I guard mine very carefully, as one day my life may surely depend on it.

What is your most marked characteristic?

Perhaps my complexion. My skin is very smooth and unblemished, except for the slight scars of vampire bites... which I suspect is something of an attraction to the Daimyo, anyway. I have been told I am quite 'tempting' to the demons when I blush, or when I reveal tenderer portions of skin such as my wrist, my neck, or even my ankles.

What is it that you most dislike?

I am not a fan of crude language or uncouth behavior. Of course, even more than these, I hate monsters, but those I have to live with every day.

Which living person do you most despise?

She does not count among 'the living'. She is one of them, a vampire: Rhiannon's Viking bodyguard, Sölva. I have never believed I could hate anyone so deeply, but she is a truly despicable beast.

What is your greatest regret?

I have tried not to allow myself selfish thoughts, but deep in my heart, I do wish somehow I could have escaped the tithe which culled me from my village and brought me here. I sometimes wish it could have been any other girl besides me... that I could have lived out a normal human's life and never known the existence of vampires at all.

What is the quality you most like in a man?

Kindness.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Strength and courage. I suppose both these answers could be true of either sex, really.

Which living person do you most admire?

I've lived in a temple of demons all my life. The only living people I know are the other human slaves... and we all make the best attempt not to be noticeable or overstep our bounds.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?

I would wish to be stronger of heart, like Rhiannon.

If you would like to know more about Aijyn check out today’s book blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment