Archangel's Desire

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Author Interview with Arabella Sheraton






Today on the blog we have Arabella Sheraton, author of today’s Series Blast, Regency Romance. We would like to thank Arabella for stopping by and sharing with us. So sit back and lets go.

Author Interview

Did you always want to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I entertained my younger siblings with wonderful stories when I was younger, but serious writing only came later. I studied in London and Paris for a stage career, but just drifted into publishing, then into writing.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?
When my first book was published.

How long did it take to get your first book published?
It was incredibly easy. I sent my manuscript to a romance publisher I read about in a writing newsletter. They loved it; then said they wanted more books. So more books it was!

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?
I do all writing-related work like teaching novel writing, proof reading book reviews for a big book review site in the USA, reviewing books, blogging, writing…

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
My latest book is The Reluctant Bridegroom. “The Earl of Wenham has no intention of marrying the woman his father chose for him.”

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?
MUSA Publishing is my (traditional) publisher. They do a variety of books.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
I find practice makes perfect. My first book took a year to write; the second took three months. I did NaNoWriMo in 2012 and got a book out in a month. But I prefer three months.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I am thinking about YA paranormal fantasy, but only thinking about it right now.

What genre would you place your books into?
Definitely Regency romance – not too sexually explicit, with more focus on great plots, sparkling and witty repartee, and good characterization.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I wrote them for my mother. She adored Regency and historical romance and kept saying she wanted to read something new. So, I wrote my first romance for her and, since she passed away, I have dedicated all my books to her memory.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?
I just love the two main characters from The Reluctant Bridegroom. A lot of sparks fly between them because they do NOT want to marry each other. Then they form a pact to pretend to get to know each other better, just to shut their families up. However, things don’t go according to plan … do they ever?

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I have always scribbled stuff down; from entertaining my siblings, to short stories for kids that I wrote while in France as a student, to editing in a publishing house, it seems I was destined to write.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I have this charming little wooden cottage at the bottom of the garden (no kidding!) and once I am in there I have my desk, computer, books, CDs, all my notes, and ‘stuff.’ I tell the housekeeper that she must only disturb me if the house is on fire…

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Oh, yes, because I am so grateful for reviews.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
I think of a title and then the story materializes.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I have absolutely no idea. It’s kind of like osmosis – the ideas and names and places just seep into my brain.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
Everything sort of merges together because once I start writing, the whole story gells.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
The characters do take over, so if you ever heard anyone say this … it is all true. It develops as I go along. Sometimes the characters surprise me, especially when they don’t do what I had planned for them.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I think basically one should be honorable about everything, including love. Don’t cheat, don’t wreck someone’s happiness, don’t have unrealistic expectations. Do your best, and love as much as you can. “Unto thine own self be true”—Shakespeare.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?
I am traditional and prefer print books – either hardback or paperback. I have loads of real books and lots of bookshelves.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins. It has it all: love, passion, obsession, murder, theft, mystery, intrigue, secret diaries, suicide… I have read it many times.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?
Best: Lord of the Rings. Worst: not sure because I tend to choose my movies carefully.

Your favorite food is?
Seafood. Ice-cream. Chocolate.

Your favorite singer/group is?
I listen to such a wide variety. I kind of have favourites for a while and move onto something else.

Your favorite color is?
I go through stages. My house is shades of cheerful yellows; my bedroom is pale green and soothing.

Your favorite Author is?
Again, I have favourites for a while. I recently bought and read all the Terry Pratchett books.

Check out today's Series Blast to find out more about this fabulous author.

No comments:

Post a Comment