Archangel's Desire

Friday, February 14, 2014

Author Interview with @Rourkewrites, author of The Gryphon Series

option2

 

Today on the blog we have the fabulous and sassy author Stacey Rourke, author of The Gryphon Series. I would like to thank Stacey for stopping by and sharing with us today. Well enough let’s get on with it…

 

Author Interview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I’ve tried on many hats; manicurist, actress, sales manager, none were a good fit. But writing? That’s something that has always been there, a part of me that was just waiting for me to realize my calling. Thankfully, I have.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When I hear from parents that their teenagers hated to read before picking up my books, that is when I feel I’m earning that title.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

One year to write, one year to get feedback and input to polish it up, then the following year it was picked up by Outer Banks Publishing.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

Ascension, which is book four in my Gryphon Series. It can be best summed up by its tag line, “When you’ve sacrificed everything, what more is there to lose?” Readers that like snarky humor and loads of action will find what they’re looking for here!

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

The first draft takes me 3-6 months. I self-edit after that which takes about the same length of time, but I feel it’s crucial to get the story as tight at my perfectionist nature demands it to be.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have a new series in the works right now. It’s still in the fantasy genre but has slightly older characters, which I honestly think I did just so I have an excuse to allow my characters to swear more. LOL! I am super excited about this series, but I also don’t think we’ve seen the last of some of the Gryphon Series characters. At least a few of them may carry on in separate adventures.

What genre would you place your books into?

If I could make a separate genre for Sarcasm and Ass-kickery that would be perfect!

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I write the kind of books I like to read, which I think is crucial for an author. If you can’t get engrossed in your story how can you expect your readers to?

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I love Grams, that zany old lady in her animal print muumuus! I want to be her when I grow up.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I have been writing since elementary. No joke. Even then I would write stories with my friends as the main characters and would stand up in front of the class to read them out loud. Now I feel I should write notes of apology to all the kids I subjected to those painful readings.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

The comfy chair in my bedroom, a steamy beverage and fuzzy socks. Comfort is key so I can get lost in my head! Sometimes music can help, but only if it perfectly fits the scene. Otherwise it can pull me out of the moment.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

I wish I could say I’m secure in myself enough not to need to, but that’s just a big fat lie. I read them, like an obsessive ex-girlfriend I read them. Honestly, though it can give insight into my readers, which is how I justify it as remotely helpful.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

With the Gryphon Series the titles revealed themselves to me as I wrote. With my new series I have the title of each book already laid out for obvious reasons I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you. So, let’s just wait for the big reveal. ;-)

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

With the Gryphon Series there is a hidden message that each of us have a hero within us. No matter who you are in dire situations you can dig dip and be the hero of your own story.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I prefer hardcopies because nothing beats that wonderful book smell, but lately I’ve been doing the ebook thing only because of the extreme ease of use and convenience.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

Some do. The problem comes in when the loyal fans want every detail crammed into a two hour movie. It’s just not possible. But if you go in hoping they touch on the essence of the book the risk of disappointment greatly decreases, at least for me.

Your favorite food is?

Crab legs

Your favorite singer/group is?

Any music that makes me shake my boo-tay

Your favorite color is?

blue

Your favorite Author is?

Too many to name! But I have mad love for my fellow Anchor Group Publishing authors

To find out more about Stacey and The Gryphon Series, check out the Series Blast below.

No comments:

Post a Comment