Archangel's Desire

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Interview: Rhonda Dennis author of The Green Bayou Series

rhonda

Interview

Today Rhonda Dennis, author of the Green Bayou Series joins me for an interview. I would like to thank Rhonda for her time, I know it’s hectic for authors to run day to day life's and keep up with their author duties and so I appreciate her time to answer a few questions about her and her series.

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I always loved writing, but it was more of a hobby. I really thought I’d become a nurse. It didn’t happen, but I did spend some time working as a medic.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

I’ve written five books and three novellas, yet I still find it hard to call myself a “writer” or “author”. I’m not sure when it’s gonna finally sink in!

How long did it take to get your first book published?

I chose to self-publish my novels.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Nope. I write full-time.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

The latest book I published is called, “Deceived: A Green Bayou Novel Book Five” and if I had to describe it in less than twenty words—Another intense, thrilling, mysterious, and romantic glimpse into the life of Emily and the Green Bayou gang!”

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

Self-publish

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

Though I suppose I could do it faster if I worked straight through, it usually takes me about six months from start to finish to write a novel.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I plan to do more books in the same genre in the future, but I’d also like to branch out a bit. I’m looking forward to diving into several projects I have in the works.

What genre would you place your books into?

Romantic suspense

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

It started out as a short story that I was simply writing for fun. The story kept spilling out and over a weekend, I basically had a novel.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I love them all. It’s really hard to pick just one, but if I were forced to do so, I’d say that Connie Hebert is my favorite.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing professionally for two years now. I was inspired by a college professor who made a note on one of my final assignments that I should consider pursuing a career as a writer. It wasn’t really something I considered before then.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I love listening to 80’s and 90’s music when I write. I also like to make sure that the music matches the mood of the scene I’m writing.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

I try to. Reviews mean a lot to me because someone took time out of their busy day to comment on my books. They certainly didn’t have to do that, so the least I can do it read it! The bad ones hurt, but I realize that not everyone has the same taste or preferences when it comes to reading material. I try my best to simply let those go.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

I generally write the book and then choose the title.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

I want my character names to be authentic to South Louisiana so I use the phone book a lot!

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

The names are decided after they come into the story.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I like to develop a character’s personality as I go along. I’ll set some vague characteristics, but I let the character guide me as the story moves along.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

There are probably quite a few messages/morals they could take away from my stories, but to say that I intentionally put them in the story would be untrue.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Most of the time I prefer eBook, however, I do love holding a paperback every now and then.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

My favorite book is “A Confederacy of Dunces” by John Kennedy Toole. The way he brought the story and the characters full circle was pure genius. Also, how the main character, Ignatius Reilly, can be so intelligent, yet such a buffoon makes me laugh every time! I read it at least once a year.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I think that it can be done, but it’s pretty rare. My favorite book to movie transfer would probably be “The Help” and my least favorite would probably be “One For the Money” by Janet Evanovich.

Your favorite food is?

Anything seafood

Your favorite singer/group is?

It changes daily!

Your favorite color is?

Blue

Your favorite Author is?

I love so many, but my favorite would be John Kennedy Toole.

Author Info-

Rhonda Dennis is proud to be born and raised in South Louisiana. Her enthusiasm for the uniqueness of Louisiana’s culture is evident in her writing. Even though she loved writing, she put it on hold to work in the medical field.

After starting a family, she went back to college where her passion was reignited and Rhonda wrote her first novel, Going Home, Book One of the Green Bayou Novel Series. Rhonda lives in a small town in South Louisiana with her husband, Doyle, and her son, Sean. She appreciates the outdoors, spending time with her family and friends, and loves cooking.

cooking.

Links-

Goodreads- http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5125930.Rhonda_R_Dennis

Website- http://www.rhondadennis.net/

Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/thegreenbayounovels?sid=0.6091470886021852

Twitter- https://twitter.com/greenbayoubooks

And now more about her first book in the series…

blitz

 

12353961

Book Info-

Title-Going Home

Series-Green Bayou Book #1

By-Rhonda R. Dennis

Publication Date-August 3, 2011

Blurb-

Paramedic Emily Boudreaux believes New Orleans is the perfect place for a young trauma junkie to see some action. Things start out fine enough, but years pass, and the job brings nothing but strife. Emily decides to make a fresh start by returning to her roots. She moves to the small town of Green Bayou, Louisiana. Thinking she will find peace and tranquility, Emily quickly learns that her imagination steered her wrong. Small town life offers far more tumult than she remembered! Mystery, excitement, deceit, and passion run rampant along the murky waters of Bayou Assumption. She struggles with the decision of which man to love: her amazing, new Paramedic partner, Jacob Templet or her handsome, former high school sweetheart, Deputy Pete Bergeron. Her ultimate struggle won't involve the decision of which man to be with. It is a quest for her personal survival! Praying to get out of a disastrous situation alive, Emily hopes that going home won't be the wrong decision.

Goodreads- http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12353961-going-home

Amazon Kindle- http://www.amazon.com/Going-Home-Volume-Novels-ebook/dp/B0050I4LMU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367565266&sr=8-3&keywords=Going+Home

No comments:

Post a Comment