Archangel's Desire

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Author Interview with Patricia D Eddy

Tour Banner

Today on the blog we have author Patricia D Eddy for an interview. I would like to thank Patricia for stopping by today and sharing with us.

Author Interview

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?
I’ve always wanted to be a writer. I have this memory of sitting at my parents’ very first computer at the kitchen counter typing out a story. I didn’t even save it, but I wrote it. I did that a lot. Before they had a computer, I used a typewriter. Interestingly, I don’t think I ever wrote out a story longhand, but once I could bang something out on a keyboard of sorts, I couldn’t stop.
When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?
I suppose it was when I was dating my husband. We fell in love three states away from one another and spent most of our courtship on Instant Messenger. We’d work on writing prompts together most night. Write for fifteen minutes and then share. No story, no plot, just writing.
How long did it take to get your first book published?
I started writing it on October of 2012. I published it in June of 2013.
Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?
I do have a full time job. I work for a large technology company.
What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?
By the Fates, Fought is the book that’s just released.
Second in an epic trilogy pitting witch against devil. No one fights alone.
Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?
I self-publish. I wanted the freedom to write what I wanted, when I wanted. I love self-publishing.
How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?
That depends. I usually have 3-5 projects going at once, so I don’t work on one thing from start to finish. But on the average, I release 2-4 books per year. In 2013, I released two full length novels and a shorter novel. In 2014, I’m hoping to release four full length novels.
What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?
I have an erotic suspense book coming up next. After that it’s the conclusion of the By the Fates series, the second in the In Blood series, and a new series, A Shift in the Water about werewolves and elementals.
What genre would you place your books into?
Most are paranormal romantic suspense, but the erotic suspense has no paranormal aspects to it.
What made you decide to write that genre of book?
I knew that some of what I wanted the characters to experience was going to be difficult for them and I wanted magic to help them along. There’s a lot of healing that has to happen in the By the Fates series. The main character, Ealasaid, goes through a lot of trauma as a young woman and magic helps her heal. Without magic, the healing would not be possible. I also love the challenge of coming up with spells and defining the rules of magic (and in the In Blood series, the science behind vampires).
Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?
My favorite character does tend to vary, but if I had to choose just one, it’s Faolan from By the Fates. He started out as a plot-tool. He needed to be there to show that not all devils were bad. I had plans for him, of course, but I didn’t see him as someone with the layers that the other characters had. But as I got to know him, I realized that in some ways, he has the *most* layers of any of them. In the first book, he was a minor character, but in the second book, he’s got a significant role to play. In the third book, he’s crucial to the plot.
How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?
I’ve been writing all of my life. I remember sitting at my parents’ kitchen counter with the first computer we ever had typing out stories. I’m not sure what really inspired me. I was an only child, which I think encouraged me to entertain myself. My own head was often much more interesting than the world around me.
Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?
I write at night mostly. I like to have the television on, but it can’t be something I’m too interested in. I watch a lot of Food Network because it’s vaguely interesting and I can zone out and write for ten minutes, twenty, and then come back to the show when I want a distraction. I need those little breaks that TV provides.
Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?
Yes. I’ve been fortunate that the reviews have been positive, and I know there will be a day that I a) don’t read all of the reviews and b) have to read a 1 star review. You just can’t please everyone all the time. But right now, I read every single one.
Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?
That depends on the book. With By the Fates, I knew it was going to be a trilogy when I was halfway through the first book. I had that title done, and I knew I wanted a similar title for the next two books. Those two books had titles long before I started writing them. But with A Shift in the Water, my werewolf book, I didn’t come up with a title until I was ¾ of the way through writing the book.
How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?
I use Scrivener for names. It’s got an awesome name generator. Places are harder. Though with my more modern books, Secrets in Blood, A Shift in the Water, and In His Silks, the places are all real.
Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?
Again, a little of both. Ealasaid went through several name changes before I settled upon her. But Raven was Raven from the start. Mara and Cade, from the werewolf book had names from the start. Evangeline and Nic were a mix.
Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?
My characters always start out a certain way. I tend to start my novels with a single scene in my head. That scene branches out into a plot. It’s rare for a character to be fully developed in my head when I start writing. That’s what editing is for. I let the characters talk to me as I write and tell me who they are. Then I go back to the earlier chapters and tweak them later.
Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")
I write about good versus evil. Good usually wins, though there’s also usually a bit of “sometimes you have to do bad things for a good outcome” slant to things. I like challenging the good guys to think outside the box.
Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?
That’s a hard question. I only read e-books these days. I read on the bus and it’s too hard to carry around multiple paperbacks or hard backs. Also, very few indie authors produce paperbacks. I support indie authors. In fact, they make up probably 80% of what I read. That means e-books. That said, there is nothing like holding a beautifully bound and printed hard cover book in your hand. I *prefer* hard covers, but I read almost all e-books.
What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?
That’s like asking me to pick a favorite restaurant. My answer is going to depend on the day. I love the Kate Daniels books though. I have read parts of them more than once. Ilona Andrews does a great job of explaining the magic in her books in a way that seems like it could truly exist in the world.
Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?
It can be done well. That’s not to say that watching the movie is the same as reading the book, but it can be well done. I’d hold up the Harry Potter movies to that standard. I loved the books. I loved the movies. Reading the books enhanced the movies for me, but even without that, the movies are great.
Your favorite food is?
Kale. Yes. Really. I’m on holiday right now in Italy. I’m eating pizza, prosciutto, speck, Parmesan, mozzarella, and more. But right now, I want a big bowl of kale chips. That said, there isn’t much I don’t love.
Your favorite singer/group is?
Great Big Sea
Your favorite color is?
Purple
Your favorite Author is?
Lindsay Buroker
If you would like to know more about Patricia and her books, check out the book blast below.

No comments:

Post a Comment