Archangel's Desire

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Author Interview with our Spotlight Author Leah D.W

 

Author Interview

Today our spotlight author Leah D.W joins us for an interview. I would like to the opportunity to thank her for the interview. Now let’s get to know her!

clip_image002[5]

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

Actually I never thought I would become a writer, not even a published writer! I wanted to be a chef before my passion for writing grew. I took a course and actually became a certified chef and even got into a culinary school after I matriculated. I always wrote stories throughout my life, just small things for my friends and family and then I decided to try and write longer pieces. That is when it all started. Mind you, I first wrote things like my own version of The Power Rangers and a novel about fairies. My stories expanded as I watched more movies and I became greatly interested in mythology. With that knowledge my imagination took off.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

Yes, I help my father manage a high school tuck shop, not very glamorous but I get a good salary for it. I sometimes do little jobs here and there for some extra money as well, but I would love to work in my local bookstore.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I did consider self publishing at first but then I met the wonderful ladies at Bayou Brew Publishing through Facebook. I first became an editor for them and then I told them about my own work. I would never have known that this chance meeting through a book page would get me published. These ladies took a chance in my writing and I am so thankful for their support.

What can we expect from you in the future?  ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

Many more books! Haha I have ideas and planned out a lot of stories with amazing characters. Though my main genre is paranormal I do have plans of trying out others, mainly historical fiction and murder mysteries.

What genre would you place your books into?

Paranormal romance, and I do try to add some comedy and lots of action.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

I am just a huge fan of the supernatural and mythology. I have researched it and I am currently studying ancient civilizations as well. I am very interested in those subjects and so I write about them too.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

I have several, but one of my favourites would be Vee. She is featured in my vampire novel The Runaway’s Secret and is the best friend of the main heroin. She is so much fun and it is never a dull day with her around. She can make anyone smile, which helps to lessen the intensity of a story and really, who doesn’t love the quirky side-kick? I love her positive attitude, even when monsters are around, and her fun way of seeing things. Only she would be happy having a vampire as a best friend.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I’ve been writing since grade 6, I was about 13 years old. I really got into it when I received praise from my teachers for writing great creative writing essays. I would then take my essay and let the story carry on. That’s how it all began.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

It depends on the story. Sometimes I would have a title and then create a story for it or plan out a story and get a title once I know more about it.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

Well they find me haha. I get a story and then try to match it with the right kind of characters. I would either create a character and find a name to match their personality and looks or like I said they would come to me. They would just suddenly appear and tell me their names and who they really are. Yes, I know it sounds strange but I’m not the only author who works that closely with the characters. It is great and helps a lot to make their stories grow deeper.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

I do plan out a few traits before writing, the basics of their personalities, but as the story goes on I would notice a few things of them and reveal that to the reader. For example in The Runaway’s Secret there is one character who I never thought would be a smoker haha so when I discover some extra pieces then I add them to the character profile.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I mostly prefer paperback. I read better with the actual book in my hands and it is easier to read in any place I want to be like outside or in bed. I do have ebooks, but I would rather have the paperback.

What is your favorite book and Why?  Have you read it more than once?

My all time favourite book is Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I have read it about seven times and will still read it over and over again. It has everything I love about a story; action, mystery, romance, magic and a mythical land with its own unique creatures. It is an amazing read and though I love many others I will always have this book as my number 1.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

Only some books do. There are movies that are so far from what was in the book it upsets me. Like Percy Jackson. I absolutely loved the series but the movie was so different from it I didn’t enjoy it at all. It is a good movie but not like the book at all. One of the best of course is Harry Potter, because I could see what I had read on screen which is awesome.

Your favorite food is?

Chocolate! Yes, it is a food haha

Your favorite singer/group is?

Singer would be Kelly Clarkson and group is Lady Antebellum. There are many more like Pink, Evanescence, Bruno Mars, Olly Murs and I still enjoy some Backstreet Boys songs.

Your favorite color is?

Blue

Your favorite Author is?

Cassandra Clare (my idol!)

 

More about Leah D.W.

author

I am 21 years old and currently a journalism student at my local university. I live in South Africa in a town called Bloemfontein with my family and two beloved dogs. I have been writing since the age of 13 and my first published work is a short horror story titled Dracula’s Mistress. I am busy working on a number of novels and I am an editor/proof reader for Bayou Brew Publishing.

I love writing in the genres of paranormal romance, fantasy fiction and historical fiction and I am a proud bookworm with a mountain of reads stacked up in my room. I am also studying criminology in order to be able to write mystery horrors.

The book that has been published is Unnatural, a collection of paranormal short stories that are full of action, adventure and amazing characters.

I also have short stories in various anthologies. Love Kills, Unhappily Ever After; fairy tales with a twist and Soul Games. My novel The Runaway’s Secret, a vampire paranormal romance, will be released in May.

Media Links -

Facebook / Blog / Goodreads / Google + / Amazon Page

No comments:

Post a Comment