Archangel's Desire

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Author Interview with Candy Crum, author of The Eternal Gift

tourbanner

 

Today on the blog we have author Candy Crum with us. Candy is the author of one of today’s book blasts The Eternal Gift. We would like to thank Candy for stopping by and sharing with us.

 

About Candy:

clip_image002Candy Crum lives in Indiana and is the Author of “The Eternal Series” and other short stories. She published her first novel, The Eternal Gift, in May of 2011 and has been publishing ever since. Candy is an avid lover of the paranormal genre, stemming from years of reading the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice when she was a teenager. Later, she developed a deep love of the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead and the House of Night Series by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast, furthering her love of the genre and pushing her to really push to finish and publish her novel.

Since then, Candy has released three other books in The Eternal Series and will release another later in 2014. Now, Candy is trying her hand at more contemporary pieces of work, like that of Lean on Me and other books she will release in 2014.

Some of Candy’s interests include the usual reading and writing, music (of most types), movies (action and comedy or any combination of the two), cartoons (she loves to say that her children watch cartoons because she does), and drawing. She loves talking with her fans and loves reading the reviews that her fans are kind enough to leave for her. Always feel free to find Candy on Facebook and send her a message!

Media Links-

Facebook / Twitter / Goodreads

clip_image004clip_image006clip_image008

Author Interview

 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

My first passion was nursing – which comes through in The Eternal Series. I absolutely love it and it’s something that I plan to get back into one day. I want to finish my degree. I don’t plan to stop writing. I just want that degree and to have the option to do both!

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

I’ve considered myself a writer for a while. I used to write shorts all the time as a kid (I was obsessed with horror). But I suppose I never really considered it serious until I hit chapter ten in The Eternal Gift – the first in The Eternal Series. I have a very, very nasty habit of starting things I won’t finish. So when I started that book, I prepared myself. I figured I’d quit, but I set myself up to succeed. I desperately wanted to finish it. Once I got to chapter ten and I actually started to speed up – that’s when I realized I had crossed over from having a hobby to actually being a writer. Because I was blowing through it and completing my goal!

How long did it take to get your first book published?

I began writing The Eternal Gift April 9, 2009 and I finished it September 2009. It wasn’t published until May 18th, 2011. It went through rewrites and edits and rewrites again. The entire book went from a YA about a seventeen year old girl to a NA about a twenty-one year old girl. It definitely went through some extensive changes, but it was worth it. I’m so happy with it all.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

I have a pretty boring job of selling furniture. Nothing too extensive. I used to be a CNA and I would be doing that again in a heartbeat if I could. I absolutely adore nursing – even the gross parts like blood and bodily functions. It doesn’t bother me. Because I love to care for people. I love knowing that when I’m on duty a person is getting great care. I do my best to make sure that my people feel like they are my only patient – even if I have ten times that many. My job now is far less stress, I’m rarely on my feet, I rarely get thrown up on, and my back (which is the reason why I was forced out of being a CNA - injury) never hurts and I never limp from the injury in my back flaring up. So I really enjoy my job, but it doesn’t satisfy that need that I have to learn something new every day.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

The Eternal Gift: Action-packed, romantic, sexy. A book you won’t be able to stop turning pages in or stop reading to sleep.

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

I self-publish. I absolutely love the freedoms that come along with it! Though I certainly wouldn’t turn down the idea of a traditional publisher if one approached me.

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

I once wrote a book in ten days. I wrote anywhere between 1,500 and 10,000 words per day. It was incredible. It takes anywhere between a couple weeks to a few months. It just depends on the complexity of the project and also how focused my mind is. I have ADD so it’s kind of tough to focus a lot of days.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

Both! I recently wrote a YA book on teen pregnancy (Lean on Me) and it was a big hit. I am SO grateful for that. And I loved writing it. So I definitely think I’ll be doing more YA books, just not sure when. I also love NA contemporary. So I’ll be doing those as well. But my passion is paranormal! Whenever I write a contemporary, and something bad happens, my initial reaction is always, “Give her your blood!” or “just use telekinesis against him!” Then I remember, “Oh… Right… Uh, can’t do that this time.” Then I spend two days trying to figure out what the character would do in a real world situation! So I love paranormal and fantasy and the way it knocks down traditional walls and allows us to build worlds so great that they are absolutely endless and the rules are almost non-existant.

What genre would you place your books into?

NA Paranormal Romance for The Eternal Series. Those that read The Eternal Gift will probably argue that since the character is very naïve and there is limited sexual situations. However, when the series starts, Kailah is a virgin and focused completely on her nursing degree. She doesn’t care about men. The books grow as Kailah grows. As Kailah goes through every hardship and life altering/life threatening situation, she grows and becomes much more mature. She’s able to think about men and the need that her body goes through for “adult” contact. So as she matures, so do the books. When you get into the second book and further – that’s when you see a dramatic change. But I definitely consider the series NA Paranormal Romance.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

Anne Rice is my hero. I love her and after reading the Vampire Chronicles – I vowed that I would one day write one. YEARS later, after beginning to read the genre again (but from other authors), my love for reading/writing/and all things paranormal was renewed and I made good on that promise. I needed to write paranormal. It’s just in my blood. I LOVE vampires.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

Kailah is my favorite because she’s me. Really, TEG is an autobiography wrapped up in an extremely exaggerated situation inside an extremely exaggerated world. I used my childhood/family/family history/and personal emotions to fuel the book and I used it as my fictional world diary. So Kailah is clearly near and dear to my heart. As for the characters that I made from scratch, Khanae, the Vampire Queen, is my absolute favorite. She is everything I want to be as a person – and she’s a vampire!

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I have been writing since I was in elementary school. We used to do writing projects for school all the time and I would always take mine way past what the assignment asked for. It killed me not to!

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Ugh. Worst. Habit. Ever. Yes, I do. I adore reading all of the wonderful things that fans have to say. I LOVE it. I’ve been lucky that on Amazon my books have had 100% four and five star reviews. My fans are incredible and I love them. Goodreads, however, is a much broader scope of people. It’s easier to leave ratings because you don’t have to post reviews. And it seems people are much more capable of saying mean things there than on Amazon. So I try not to read the reviews on Goodreads unless they are 3/4/5 star reviews. I love reading about how a reader didn’t like my book “because” – when it’s constructive. If they found a typo, or they love the genre but I could have made it more believable by doing this or that… Those things are helpful! But a lot of those bad reviews (for any author/book – not just my own) are simple. “It was terrible. I couldn’t believe I wasted my money on this. Don’t buy it!” Things like that do not help an author. It only hurts them. So yes, they are hard to read and I have tried to get away from reading those.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

Title comes almost dead last. I can’t even think of a title as I write. I have such a hard time with them! Blurbs are the WORST though!

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

I absolutely love paper/hardbacks. Either one. I love eBooks because of their convenience. But if I had the money I would own paper and eBook versions of all the books I have that I enjoyed and my absolute favorites I would have hardback copies of as well that would sit on a shelf like trophies. Yes, books are like trophies to me!

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I think if movie makers allowed the authors to write the scripts things would go GREAT. Instead, we have things like True Blood happening. Great show! But when you compare it to the books? Terrible! It’s nothing even remotely the same after Season 3.

The BEST transfer I’ve ever seen (in the case where I both read the book myself and saw the movie) was Interview with the Vampire (written by Anne Rice. Movie stars Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Kirsten Dunst). The script was beautifully written and was taken mostly straight from the book it seems. The scenes were almost exactly how I pictured them while reading as well. Now, I’m sure there are those that would argue with me on this. But I LOVED this movie adaptation.

The worst one I’ve ever seen was ALSO an Anne Rice book. Queen of the Damned. Even Anne Rice hates this movie and even gets upset when it’s mentioned. The MOVIE was actually great. I really loved it. It’s a bit cheesy, yes. But I thought it was pretty good for a vampire flick. But – I read the book. They changed the name of Lestat’s maker (Marius in the movie/Magnus in the book), they changed how Akasha (the queen) died, they changed about two dozen other things as well. And I just did not like at all how Stuart Townsend played Lestat – though he was amazing later on as an immortal in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. This was certainly a long-winded answer – but this is a topic I like.

Your favorite food is?

Pizza. LOVE pizza!

Your favorite singer/group is?

Disturbed (as evident by a lot of mentions of them in my books).

Your favorite color is?

Purple

Your favorite Author is?

Anne Rice!

If you would like to find out more about this amazing author, check out the book blast below.

No comments:

Post a Comment