Archangel's Desire

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Author Interview with @kclarkauthor

tourbanner
Today on the blog we have author Kristin Clark with us. Kristin’s debut novel The Chosen is today’s book blast. I would like to thank Kristin for stopping by today and sharing with us.

 

About Kristin:

 

clip_image009Kristin is a country girl from Texas currently residing in Smithsburg, Maryland with her three beautiful daughters and a spoiled rotten dog.  She holds a degree in Paralegal Studies and has been a Paralegal for seven years. She is currently pursuing her degree in Nursing and Healthcare Management at University of Maryland.  She sticks by her favorite teams in her favorite three sports, Orioles, Redskins, and the Caps. She is an avid reader who considers herself old school, preferring a paperback over e-book version.   As a Pices with a passion for writing, she loves to escape reality and dive into her characters world. The Chosen is her first novel in The Chosen Trilogy published by Anchor Group and she has several other novels in progress.
 
 

 
http://picasion.com/gl/2NAV/
clip_image011clip_image012clip_image014clip_image015clip_image017 

Author Interview
 

Did you always wanted to be a writer? If not what did you want to be?

I have been writing since I was little but never thought about being a writer. I wanted to be a Veterinarian and a teacher.

When did you first consider yourself a “writer”?

When the reality hit me that I was traditionally published.

How long did it take to get your first book published?

About 2 years.

Do you do another job except for writing and can you tell us more about it?

I was a Paralegal for 7 years and am now a student at University of Maryland and a mommy.

What is the name of your latest book, and if you had to summarize it in less than 20 words what would you say?

The Cold hunter, The Forbidden Hunt (still playing with it)

When Jocelyn disobeys orders from her Father’s Council she’s forced to make a choice between family and fate. Is blood thicker than water?

Who is your publisher? Or do you self-publish?

Anchor Group Publishing

How long does it usually take you to write a book, from the original idea to finishing writing it?

It only took me 3 months to finish The Chosen. Subsequent books are taking me longer, i think because my writing has developed and matured since I wrote my first book.

What can we expect from you in the future? ie More books of the same genre? Books of a different genre?

I have 4 current works in progress. You can expect book 2 of The Chosen Trilogy this summer. I have another series that I started the first book in (see above) which is the similar genre to The Chosen. My third is His Obssession, an adult suspenseful romance novel, and lastly I am not telling. :) I will give you a hint, you would cross it between Hunger Games, Divergent and The Host.

What genre would you place your book into?

Young Adult Urban Fantasy.

What made you decide to write that genre of book?

The character, the title and her powers came to me first so I ran with it.

Do you have a favorite character from your books? And why are they your favorite?

My favorite is Chloe because of her gift and how much she develops in the second novel.

How long have you been writing?, and who or what inspired you to write?

I have been writing since I learned how to write, however this is the first novel I have written. My push into writing an actual novel was my need to escape reality for a while. I loved reading and getting lost with fictional characters and then I became addicted to creating them and putting them into a world all their own.

Do you have a certain routine you have for writing? ie You listen to music, sit in a certain chair?

I like to write in silence, after kids are asleep. Usually I am on my couch with my laptop and my feet propped up onto the table. If I am not there, I am in my bed with my lap top and my dog snoring next to me.

Do you read all the reviews of your book/books?

Yes. I love feedback and want to know what readers think.

Do you choose a title first, or write the book then choose the title?

It is different with every book I am working on. With The Chosen, it was Title and character then the rest fell into place. With Forbidden Hunt, I am still possibly playing with the title, but came up with the plot first. His Obsession, was plot then title. The other one that I am keeping a secret, the idea came to me in a dream and the title. I got the plot down and the title but it is not set in stone yet. I may not decide till the end.

How do you come up with characters names and place names in your books?

I base names on description of character. What I think they should be based on what I picture them to look like. Sometimes I search names on the internet and one will jump out to me. A few characters are named after people I know. Places are based on the plot, do I need a wooded area, beach, swamp, hot/cold, etc.

Are character names and place names decided after their creation? Or do you pick a character/place name and then invent them?

Mostly the character is named after they are created.

Do you decide on character traits (ie shy, quiet, tomboy girl) before writing the whole book or as you go along?

Both. I do a lot of it as i go along (ie. do i need this person to be shy or outgoing, strong or weak) With The Chosen, I developed the six main characters first. I may have changed hair color or things like that but personality and super natural abilities were created first.

Are there any hidden messages or morals contained in your books? (Morals as in like Aesops Fables type of "The moral of this story is..")

I wanted to depict Chloe as strong willed and brave when she needed to be. She was the quiet type, not a part of the “in” crowd. Yet there was one shared quality that brought six totally different teenagers together and they became close friends. They had a common goal and worked together to meet that goal and became great friends as a result of it.

Which format of book do you prefer, eBook, hardback, or paperback?

Paperback or hardback. I am old school.

What is your favorite book and Why? Have you read it more than once?

My favorite book is Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. It touches close to home for me. I have only read it once. I can not choose a favorite fantasy novel. I love so many books and authors. I am a fan and inspired by J.K. Rowling, Kathryn Stockett, Suzanne Collins, and Stephanie Meyer. Veronica Roth’s Divergent recently met my list of favorite books.

Do you think books transfer to movies well? Which is you favorite/worst book to movie transfer?

I love books transferred into movies. I actually like it when they change things in the movie as long if it makes it better. My favorite book transferred into a movie was The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I also enjoyed The Hunger Games transferred into a movie. I don’t think I have a least favorite … yet, but that is because I am more open than those who expect it to mirror the book.

Your favorite food is?

Chicken and Cheese Enchilladas.

Your favorite singer/group is?

I can’t pick a favorite, I am sorry. I have a love for music similar to my love for books. I like all kinds of music. Some of my favorites include Imagine Dragons, Paramore, Penatonix, and Adele.

Your favorite color is?

Hot pink

Your favorite Author is?

If I have to choose, Nicholas Sparks.

Remember to check out the book blast below to find out more about Kristin and her book, and don’t forget to enter the giveaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment